Association of Deaf & Blind Uganda
The National Association of the Deaf & blind in Uganda(NABU) is an indigenous, non-governmental organization that promotes the welfare of Deaf & blind persons in Uganda by accessing them to services in the sectors of rehabilitation, education, health, economic support, advocacy and lobbying, capacity building, training in communication & mobility and other sectors relevant for the their self-reliance.
The overall aim of NADBU is to improve the quality of life of deafblind persons in Uganda through equalization of rights and opportunities in all life spheres. The National Association of the Deafblind in Uganda (NADBU) was formed by the deafblind persons themselves.
Deaf blindness is a unique category whereby a person has a combination of severe degrees of hearing and sight loss.NADBU deals with over 500 deafblind persons in 13 districts. And has 3 staff at the moment with 5 volunteers who are deafblind.
Our mission is focused on improving the quality of life of persons with deaf blindness in Uganda through equalization of rights and opportunities in all life spheres.
And NADBU envisions a society where persons with Deaf blindness in Uganda enjoy decent living standards in all spheres of life. In order to realize our mission, NADBU pursues the following objectives:
- To provide a forum for exchange of knowledge and experience on deaf blindness.
- To promote interaction between persons with deaf blindness, their families, professionals, service providers and the mainstream society.
- To promote recognition of the deaf blindness as a unique disability.
4To advocate for equal opportunities in education, health, habilitation and rehabilitation, employment and welfare of persons with deaf blindness in Uganda.
- To promote research, documentation and dissemination of information on all matters relating to deaf blindness and persons with deaf blindness.
6. To promote the development and use of interpreter guides and other relevant services for all persons with deaf blindness in Uganda.
Please login to add your review.