Equity Bank Uganda Limited.
Equity Bank Limited – Uganda (EBLU) started in July 2008 when Equity Bank Kenya successfully acquired a 100% stake in Uganda Microfinance Limited (UML).Equity Bank Limited –Uganda therefore entered the market with a footprint of 30 branches and 16 contact offices spread over 29 districts in Uganda. The entry to Uganda marked the first stride in Equity Bank’s regional expansion strategy.
Today, Equity Bank Limited – Uganda is one of the fastest growing banks in Uganda, with the fourth largest network of 38 branches and 35 ATMs located in all regions of the country. The bank has also deployed a number of Alternate Business Channels to enhance its product and service delivery. These include: Internet Banking, Eazzy 247 a Mobile banking service, Point of Sales (POS) machines as well as partnerships with major telecom companies.
To achieve its vision of empowering the people of Africa, Equity Bank Limited – Uganda has uniquely positioned itself by ensuring it provides products and services that cut across several customer segments.
Equity Bank Limited – Uganda is a major contributor to Uganda’s job market as it currently employs over 540 members of staff. It won the Uganda Investment Authority “Employer of the Year Award in 2010”and is currently the 3rd largest bank in Uganda in terms of customer base.
Some of the recent accolades and recognitions that Equity Bank Limited has received include;
- June, 2012: Equity Bank CEO and Managing Director Dr. James Mwangi was named 2012 Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur of the Year at a ceremony held in Monte Carlo, Monaco. Dr Mwangi was picked from among the 59 country finalists shortlisted for the title across 51 countries, becoming the first business leader from Sub Saharan Africa to win this prestigious award.
- June 2012: Equity Bank was awarded Best Managed Company in Africa award by EuroMoney magazine. The Bank won the award on a strong brand pull, regional footprint and corporate governance, based on a survey of market analysts at leading banks and research institutes in Africa.
- June 2012: Equity Bank was awarded the Most Innovative Bank in Africa Award at the African Bankers Awards held in Arusha, Tanzania. The annual awards reward outstanding talent and achievement in Africa’s financial sector.
- May 2012: Equity Bank was named Best Bank in Kenya at the Banking Awards 2012, while also receiving the Best Bank (Tier 1) and the Best Bank in Microfinance awards at the same event.
- September 2011: Equity Bank Group was listed as one of the 16 global emerging Markets New Sustainability Champions by a World Economic Forum Report in 2011. Equity Bank Group was recognized as the only financial service provider in the Emerging markets which meets the threshold of sustainability based on a criteria covering, innovation, growth and corporate sustainability.
- Sept 2011: Africa Investor named Equity CEO Dr. James Mwangi as the African Banker of the year for the second year in a row.
- Sept 2011: Africa Investor named Equity Bank as the Best Initiative in Support of SMEs and the Millennium Development Goals.
- 2010: Africa investor named Equity Bank as the Ai 40 Company of the Year.
- 2010: The Financial Times named Equity CEO Dr. James Mwangi among the 50 emerging market business leaders in BRIC countries – Brazil, Russia, India and China – and other emerging market economies – who have shaped the economic performance of their respective regions. The Financial Times recognized Dr Mwangi for transforming the lives of many people in Kenya including house helps and low income earners who have been able to borrow as little as Kshs 500 from the Bank.
- In June 2009 Equity Bank was named the Emerging Markets Most Sustainable Bank of the Year in Africa and the Middle East.
- Equity Bank is the holder of the 2007 Global Vision Award in Microfinance “for initiating a concept of the future that will shape the Global Economy”.
Equity offers financial services through its wide network of branches in Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Rwanda and Tanzania (clickable links to branches in all the countries) supported by Alternate Delivery Channels which include:
- Visa Branded ATMs
- Points of Sale (POS) where customers shop; pay and withdraw cash in leading retail outlets.
- Internet and mobile banking channels The Bank runs on a Global Robust State of the Art Information Technology Computer System supported by Infosys, HP, Oracle and Microsoft.
- Agency Outlets
As a Bank, we are guided by the following Core Values which we uphold in all the activities we undertake. These are:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Unity of purpose
- Respect and dedication to customer care
- Effective Corporate Governance
Please login to add your review.